The Virginia Department of Corrections is a model correctional agency and a proven innovative leader in the profession. Virginia is a safer place to live and work because the Department provides exemplary services and programs that provide appropriate custody and supervision of offenders.
The employees of the Department are the cornerstone of the agency. They share a common purpose and a commitment to the highest professional standards and excellence in public service. The Department, through its unwavering commitment to its employees, is a satisfying and rewarding place to work and grow professionally.
The Virginia Department of Corrections enhances public safety by controlling and supervising sentenced offenders in a humane, cost-efficient manner, consistent with sound correctional principles and constitutional standards.
ValuesWe, the Department of Corrections believe we can best fulfill our vision and accomplish our mission by demonstrating and living these values in our daily work.
- Fulfilling - The Department recognizes that its people are its most important component. Thus, the Department strives to be a place where people want to go to work. Each individual staff employee should have a sense that the work he does is meaningful and that the Department of Corrections contributes to society as the employee contributes to the Department.
- Ethical - Each individual employee’s behavior should conform to high professional standards of conduct, and exhibit their commitment through competency, accountability, and pride in their work. As a member of the Department, each employee serves as a role model for other staff and the offenders in the Department’s care.
- Achieving - Each employee of the Department contributes to the success of accomplishing the Department’s mission, mandates and goals. By the Department meeting its mission, it helps make the Commonwealth of Virginia a safer place to live and work.
- Purposeful - The Department provides an important public safety function for the Commonwealth of Virginia. Each employee should have a clear sense of the role the Department plays in Virginia state government. The Department is not only committed to meeting its mission, but uses the mission to evaluate its results and activities.
- Balanced - The Department strives to maintain appropriate concern for the needs of society, the organization and individuals without discounting any of the three. Each employee needs to also keep this triangle equalized in their daily work life.
- Supportive - The Department attempts to supply the necessary resources, tools, equipment, training and know how to get the job done. Even though the Department is a large organization, each employee must realize, that in order for the Department to be successful, he must be a team player.
- Provide national leadership in public safety and be a model agency in the control, supervision and management of offenders
- Ensure a safe and healthy environment at all Department facilities and worksites
- Be a leader in Human Resources with a highly effective workforce which has the highest professional standards
- Develop and implement quality programs and services that provide offenders the opportunity for positive change
- Recognize the interests of victims, volunteers and criminal justice providers and acknowledge their input in the Department’s management of offenders