Marion Correctional Center
John Walrath, Warden110 Wright Street
Marion, VA 24354-3145
Special Purpose Institution - Marion Correctional Treatment Center is accredited by the Joint Commission on Accreditation of Health Care Organizations (JCAHO) as a Behavioral Health Care facility, and Licensed for Acute Care, Outpatient, and Residential Unit mental health services by the Virginia Department of Behavioral Health and Developmental Services (DBHDS). MCTC houses adult male offenders classified to multiple levels of security.
- Opened - Originally opened in 1958 as a state mental hospital. It was acquired by the DOC in 1980 and opened as a correctional mental health treatment center for adult male offenders.
- Average Daily Population (January 2015) - 371
- Special Populations - Licensed for 90 Acute Care Offenders (committed by the Court), 101 Residential Offenders
- Site Additions/Upgrades - 180 bed Cadre Unit to replace existing 48 bed Modular Units in 2014.
- Virginia Correctional Enterprises - N/A
Directions From Richmond:Take I-64 West to I-81, then South and West to Marion. Take Marion Exit 45 off I-81. Turn right and the entrance to is approximately 50 yards on the right.