News: Press ReleasesFor Release: March 9, 2006 - Contact: Larry Traylor, (804) 674-3574
DOC Appoints New Warden at Sussex I State Prison
RICHMOND – Virginia Department of Corrections (DOC) Director Gene M. Johnson announced today the appointment of Loretta K. Kelly as Warden of Sussex I State Prison in Sussex County.
Kelly began her career with the DOC in 1982 and most recently held the position of Warden at Deep Meadow Correctional Center. She has also held positions as Institutional Counselor, Probation and Parole Officer, Ombudsman, Treatment Program Supervisor, and Assistant and Deputy Warden. Kelly replaces Gerald K. Washington who has been on temporary assignment as Warden at Sussex I.
In conjunction with this appointment the following staff members are being reassigned:
- Warden Alton Baskerville (Powhatan Correctional Center) to Deep Meadow Correctional Center.
- Warden Eddie L. Pearson (Sussex II State Prison) to Powhatan Correctional Center.
- Warden David B. Everett (Deerfield Correctional Center) to Sussex II State Prison.
- Assistant Warden Harris L. Diggs (Coffeewood Correctional Center) to Assistant Warden, Deep Meadow Correctional Center.
- Assistant Warden Maggie K. Neal (Powhatan Reception and Classification Center) to Assistant Warden, Coffeewood Correctional Center.
- Assistant Warden Layton T. Lester (Deep Meadow Correctional Center) to Assistant Warden, Powhatan Reception and Classification Center.
Sussex I State Prison, opened in May 1998, is a state of the art maximum security facility and home of Virginia’s death row.