Skip to Content
Agencies | Governor
Search Virginia.Gov
Virginia Department of Corrections — Public Safety First

Out-of-State Incarceration

The Department of Corrections has an interstate compact agreement with certain other states. An inmate can request to serve his/her sentence in another state’s correctional system, provided that state has an interstate compact agreement with Virginia. Once the request is approved and if the other state has space and an inmate to exchange, the transfer will be made. All applicable fees for transportation to another state are the responsibility of the inmate or his family.

Questions concerning out-of-state inmates who are housed under contract in Virginia should be directed to the Department of Corrections of the contracting state. Virginia does not compute time or perform any other administrative functions for contract inmates. These inmates are provided housing, programs, education and medical care according to the terms and conditions of the contracts.